Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Packing List!

So, going against my very nature, I started the packing process for Namibia about a month ago. And by that I mean I typed up a packing list, bought a backpack and hiking boots at Campmor and haven’t had any time to think about packing since then. But now that I’m unemployed and my life has become infinitely more boring since I was coerced by my parents to spend the month of July in Vermont (hopefully with a week spent WWOOFing in Plattsburgh with Brian!) I’ll be getting into shopping and packing for my trip hardcore. So, without further ado, here is my rough packing list, as compiled from the advice given in the Namibia Welcome Book, stalking other volunteers’ blogs and advice from current volunteers in Namibia.

Packing List:

Clothes:
*Casual dresses for work: 2 or 3
Formal dress: 1
*Skirts for work: 2 or 3
*pants for work: 2
Jeans: 1
*Shorts/Capri to mid-knee: 2 or 3
*Blouses for work: 4 or 5
T-shirts: 4 or 5
Sweaters: 2 or 3
Fleece
Hat, scarf, gloves
Rain Coat
Casual sandals of good quality: 1
*Sandals, comfortable shoes for work: 1
Sneakers: 1
Hiking boots: 1
Flip Flops: (maybe)
Bathing suit and sarong
Pajamas
Sweatpants

Toiletries:
Sunscreen
Face/Body Lotion
Enough shampoo/conditioner, soap, toothpaste etc. for 5 weeks
Tampons
Deoderant
Nail clippers
tweezers

Electronics:
*Laptop
*USB port
Ipod
*Ipod speakers
*digital camera
*shortwave radio

Miscellaneous:
Batteries (AA, rechargeable)
*Solar charger
Duct Tape
*Watch + spare watch
*Swiss army knife
*Flashlight, extra bulbs
US stamps
Envelopes
*2 water bottles
Stationary
Converter
Books!
Candle lantern
Dvds
Pictures
Gifts for my host family
Sleeping bag
Backpack
*Daypack
Games: Uno, travel sized games, playing cards
Seeds (for a garden)
*Full size flat sheets

(The starred items are those I still have to get)

If any past or present volunteers in Namibia come across this post and want to help a sister out by giving some pointers I would be much obliged.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Emily I am part of the new group that came in Feb I would for sure recommend an external hard drive... It has saved me from a few boring nights! If you wear flip flops a lot BRING THEM I only brought one pair and I miss them!! If you have any other questions feel free to email me kimberly.balaguer@gmail.com... get excited Namibia is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely pack an external hard drive and a couple pairs of flip flops. I am excited to get to Namibia and looking forward to meeting you and the other volunteers in August :)

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I'll be in Namibia in August as well! Feel free to add me on Facebook or check out my blog at www.caitiehawley.com ... can't wait to meet everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I'm in Group 29 and don't think that you necessarily need a solar charger (depending on your placement) you might hold off on that purchase and have someone send it to you if it turns out you need it. Def get the day pack it is great to have and I would suggest single flat sheets instead of full size. Otherwise your list looks great. And Kim is right, I wish I had brought an external hard drive, it is great for watching movies, etc. Best of luck and look forward to meeting you soon! Rachel Branaman

    ReplyDelete